Planning board with Google Calendar events
PlanBoard is a Google Sheets add-on that retrieves events from Google Calendar and combines it in a bar chart in a spreadsheet. The bar chart consists per calendar of a timeline that shows the individual appointments when expanded.
A calendar can be from a person or an object. For objects this allows for planning its rental or use, like of boats, ships, apartments, holiday homes, machines, equipment, vehicles, etc. For persons work schedules and rosters can be created from individual calendars.
The software helps you to get a high occupancy rate when scheduling objects and persons:
- The objects/persons and events form a bar chart clearly showing the free periods in between.
- The objects/persons are in a fixed self chosen order and are therefore quickly found back in the bar chart.
- The bar chart shows the events from a chosen starting date or running with today's date.
- Calendars can be expanded to show the events individually, or collapsed as a timeline.
Google Calendar itself can also show multiple calendars at once, but the viewing order of the calendars then keeps changing depending on the events, making free periods less visible.
The free version shows the events from the primary calendar associated with a Google account.
The Upgrade version shows all your calendars and the calendars shared with you in a chosen order.
Install the add-on in a spreadsheet:
The Upgrade you can try 10 days for free and buy for 1 year with PayPal in the PlanBoard add-on itself: menu Add-ons > PlanBoard > Upgrade...
The planboard is shown in a spreadsheet consisting of two worksheets. You can share the spreadsheet to show it to others.
This worksheet lists all the calendars your account has access to.
- Primary calendar - the calendar that comes with your account by default
- Added calendar(s) - a calendar that you create yourself and use for a certain purpose
- Shared calendar(s) - a calendar that someone shares with you
If you do not have an Upgrade trial or license active, then only your primary calendar is active. With an Upgrade trial or license, the other calendars, if you have them, can also be selected. You can adjust the order of the calendars by moving the complete row.
In this worksheet the calendars are shown that have visible 'yes' in the Calendar list and in the order that the calendars are in the Calendar list.
Per calendar the kind of events are shown that are selected in the corresponding column in the Calendar list. This can be events that last all day or start on a specific time or both kinds (default setting).
The sidebar opens with menu Add-ons > PlanBoard > Open sidebar.
- buttons to collapse/expand all calendars,
- a date picker to set the start date of the timescale,
- radio buttons to select the fixed start date or to follow the current date (today) or a relative day in the past,
- checkboxes to set options like hide/show columns and copying information and colors from the calendars and
- a button to refresh the planning board.
The planning board must be refreshed regularly to process changes in the calendar(s). This can be done manually with menu Add-ons > PlanBoard > Refresh planbord. When the sidebar is opened, the planning board is refreshed automatically every 5 minutes.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I get "drive.google.com refused to connect" in the sidebar?
This is because you are logged in with multiple Google accounts. The sidebar sometimes uses a different account than the spreadsheet, which is a Google known issue. Logging out of the other accounts is a solution, or making sure the spreadsheet account is the default account, or use the browser's incognito window and log in there (recommended workaround).